New member introduction

Information and updates about the boards.
KindaNewish

08 Jun 2017, 02:02 #1

Hi guys, I am Ray F, newish LSCC member #2623. I posted a few times on the Double Dimes section before, but I figured it was time to formally say Hi. So, Hi!

I have always been a very casual collector (of coins, cars, watches, things of sorts) but my recently expanded collection of ex-wives has kind of cut into my collecting budget. About a year ago I made a drunken late night ebay purchase of a 20 cent coin, never having owned one before, thinking "huh, cool". The next day I did some looking online to see how much I overpayed and to do a bit of research on what I had just bought. Google led me to the fantastic Double Dimes book and I was hooked.  I have not collected coins that much since the TeleTrade days, it seemed that collecting was just not that much fun anymore, with the advent of the internet anything can be had if you have enough money. There was no more fun in "the search" when everything is available. I had never been introduced to collecting by die variety before, and it turned out that my drunken first double dime was one of the more scarce varieties of '75-S.

I started digging through the dusty corners of the internet to learn as much as I could on these weird little coins, and all roads kept taking be back to the  Double Dimes book, the Gobrecht Journal and the LSCC. So I finally pony up my $25 dues and proudly joined the ranks of this most detailed, obsessed, observant, supportive, and frankly, brilliant little community.

So a year goes by and I am having real fun digging through coins on-line again. I started to put together a set of die varieties as descrobed in John & Lane's book. Mostly on the 'bay, but also from a few dealers who have good photos on thier websites. It was not just "to fill that hole in my album, I need to spend $XXX", it was to "to fill that slot in my die variety set, I have to find it", which is much more fun. It is such a rewarding challange truly identifying a rare coin that the seller is not aware of (especially when it is a old, established dealer) and adding it to my collection. Just this past week I picked up another 1875 BF-2 and an 1875-CC BF-1 from large on-line dealers, each at no more than the cost of thier more pedestrian sisters. This would not have been possible without the work of John & Lane, and to all of the LSCC members before them who set up this awesome base of knowledge which I can draw from. Thanks to you all. [This is where I pour a bit of my gin'n tonic on the ground to salute my long past LSCC homies].

So I am more than halfway done with my 20cent die variety set, If I forgo the two stoppers (76-CC and the BMP) the end is in sight. And now I am somewhat fearfull as I look upon the daunting task of trying to memorize die varieties of the other Seated denominations. It was so easy when I just has two years of coins to concern myself with, the 50 year run of dimes and halves intimidate me, but I am sure you guys will help me through that. 

John Okerson
Collector

08 Jun 2017, 21:53 #2

Welcome!  Nice to hear you describe yourself, your interests and your collection of ex-wives!

Bill Bugert is the author of the series of books on the Liberty Seated halves, and his first 4 are available online for free.  The last one is quite new.  I own all 5 personally, but once you get started, you'll learn that normal folks cannot recall all of the varieties, so just give up on that!  Some dates have about 50 varieties!

Gerry Fortin has a web book on Liberty Seated dimes.  I keep track of his new discoveries and he has over 1400 different varieties - try to remember all of that!  NOT!

Greg Johnson works with quarters. Dick Osborne and Brian Cushing work with dollars.

Half dimes is an interest to many folks, most notoriously Mr.halfdime.

At least two of us are seriously interested in cuds and cracks across the range of denominations - Benny Haimovitz and me.

Pick an interest and write to folks with a similar interest would be my suggestion.  Virtually everyone is happy to share information with one another.

frosty

09 Jun 2017, 00:11 #3

Hi Ray, it was good seeing you again at the GSNA show.  Look for the article in the July Gobrecht Journal.  Some of my Double Dimes will be at the centerfold as the Featured Collection.  Enjoy!

Can you please tell me which online company had the 1875-CC BF-1?  I saw two of them in the same David Lawrence Rare Coins auction last month -- did you get one of them?  Those were the 12th and 13th examples we are aware of, as neither of them was one of the examples we already new about.  Amazing after a long gap with a new example that two of them show up at the same time!   If your new coin wasn't from DLRC, then perhaps it's the 14th example, or perhaps one of the previously known examples.

We put an article/request in the Gobrecht Journal and the E-Gobrecht last year asking people to report any 75CC BF-1 or BF-5 coins people had in their holdings, and we didn't pick up any additional examples from that effort.  There are still only two known BF-5 coins known, so keep looking!
Cheers!
 - John

KindaNewish

09 Jun 2017, 01:45 #4

So it seems we are scouring the same sites. Looks like the count for 75-CC BF-1 stands at 13.
https://www.davidlawrence.com/rare-coin/1221996

and just 'cause I like to show off, yesterdays 75 BF-2 pickup
http://www.ebay.com/itm/252915697561

Last edited by KindaNewish on 09 Jun 2017, 01:50, edited 1 time in total.

KindaNewish

11 Jul 2017, 00:45 #5

frosty wrote:
09 Jun 2017, 00:11
Hi Ray, it was good seeing you again at the GSNA show. Look for the article in the July Gobrecht Journal. Some of my Double Dimes will be at the centerfold as the Featured Collection. Enjoy!

Sexy centerfold material! But the cover art on the latest Gob Journal is, well, somewhat familiar. And this new format here sucks. But more activity would make up for that.

frosty

11 Jul 2017, 01:06 #6

The cover artwork of the Gobrecht Journal is changed every year.
This year's look is terrific, thanks to Jim Macor. Can't wait to receive my July issue. Perhaps tomorrow...
And yes, I agree, the new format of the Boards under the Tapatalk brand is terrible and hard to use. I think it will deter a lot of activity rather than generate it.